Former five-division world champion Floyd Mayweather Jr. is still planning to have an exhibition fight next month – somewhere in the UK.
Last year, the unbeaten boxer mentioned the possibility of fighting on UK soil in the month of February.
Mayweather, 45 years old, retired back in 2017, with a perfect 50-0 record, after stopping UFC star Conor McGregor in a cross-ports boxing match.
Since retiring, Mayweather has taken part in several exhibition fights.
During his pro career, the majority of Mayweather’s fights took place in Las Vegas.
He’s travelled to several countries for exhibition opportunities – including Japan, Abu Dhabi and Dubai.
Now Mayweather is ready to showcase his skills on UK soil.
“A bout is planned in the UK for 2023,” Mayweather told The Sunday Telegraph. “In February we’re looking forward to coming here and putting on an exhibition for the fans in the UK because I’ve never had a chance to come over here and fight when I was actively boxing as a professional – so hopefully in February I’ll come over and do an exhibition if it’s possible.”
Not everyone is pleased with Mayweather’s exhibition fights – as there are many critics who tab them as “freak show” events.
Mayweather has shared the ring with social media personalities like Logan Paul and Deji.
“I want to continue to help this sport grow because without boxing I wouldn’t be where I’m at,” Mayweather said. “But what’s also important to me is giving back to the sport of boxing and I will always give back to the sport of boxing. It’s a driving force for me.
“I want everybody in the UK to have fun, come and enjoy the entertainment boxing brings. I’m proud of all these guys trying out in boxing, and thankful to everybody that’s been working on these events behind the scenes.”
Leave a Reply